If you’re a casual cyclist or even if you want to take the ride to the wild side, you need the best bike you can afford. A good bike will not only look good, but will give you that security you need for downhill rides.
Cycling is very addicting and most of the cyclists are always eager to get a better bike. We will look into great detail of the bikes’ performances and features they offer. Join us on this quest and see what the best mountain bikes are this year.
Things to Consider as an Off-Road Cyclist
- Size. Almost every mountain bike comes in different sizes. The dimensions of the frame and the wheels vary proportionally. Having a bike that’s too small for you can cause knee injury and it makes the ride very uncomfortable. On the other hand, having a bike that’s too big for you will make your ride more demanding, it will require more effort of you. Some simple measurements can be of great help.
- Weight. Extra weight can be a hell of a burden when you’re going uphill for a long time. I know that downhill extra weight will make you go faster, but you will have less control over it. A lighter bike makes your ride easier, no matter if you’re going uphill or downhill, passing through a water stream or mud.
- Quality. The material of which the bike is made is very important. However, how the bike is made is even more essential. The manufacturing process can be the point where faulty frames are made. A low quality frame or brakes can lead to disastrous outcomes.
- Price. This is individual factor depending on your budget. An expensive bike doesn’t have to be of high quality, but in most cases that’s true. Few extra bucks can be the difference between having a bike that looks awesome, feels amazing and is reliable, and having a bike that will fail to deliver the joy it should’ve.
The Mountain Bike Guide
|Picture||Name||Frame Size||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|Picture||Name||Frame Size||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. SE Bikes Big Mountain 24-Speed D Hard Tail Mountain Bicycle, Black, 17 Inch||17"/19"/21"||$$$||4.8|
|2. 26" Genesis V2100 Men's Mountain Bike with Full Suspension Blue||26"||$||4.8|
|3. Nashbar AT1 29er Mountain Bike - 21 INCH||17"/19"/21"||$$||4.7|
|4. Mongoose Stasis Comp 26-Inch Full Suspension Mountain Bicycle||18"||$$||4.6|
|5. Diamondback Response Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels, Black, 18-Inch/Medium||18"||$$$||4.5|
|6. Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Axis Sport Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike, 20-Inch/Large, Dark Silver/Blue||16"/18"/20"/22"||$$$$||4.5|
|7. Mongoose Women's Status 2.2 Mountain Bike, 16-Inch/Small||16"||$||4.3|
|8. Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Lux Sport Women's Mountain Bike (27.5-Inch Wheels), 17-Inch, Black||17.5"||$$$$||4.3|
|9. Columba 26" Alloy Folding Bike w. Shimano Silver (RJ26A_SLV)||26"||$$||4.3|
|10. Montague Paratrooper Mountain Folding Bike, Matte Cammy Green||18"/20"||$$$$$||4.3|
The Frame- Alloy, Carbon and Steel
These are the materials that make most of the bikes’ frames. Every material has its pros and cons, depending on your style of riding you can pick the ideal type of frame.
- Alloy. It’s a mix of aluminum and another metal, simple as that. The alloy frame is light and in the recent years it has become affordable. With the appropriate design it can offer great durability and a lot of comfortable rides. The only drawback is that it’s not a lifelong investment. After 6-7 years the frame will start to wear off. If you are looking for a mountain bike for a couple of years use, the alloy frame is the answer for you. It will give you the highest value for money.
- Carbon. A carbon made frame will enable you to experience a ride like you’ve never experienced before. It is very solid, it will utilize every effort you put in the ride. The carbon offers a possibility for different shapes and designs of the frame. All this comes at a higher price. That is the drawback which makes the carbon unaffordable to the cyclist with a lower budget.
- Steel. If you know how to take care for the bike, a steel frame bike will last for a pretty long time. It’s the heaviest of all frames, but it can be handcrafted to make it easier, the better the crafting, the higher the price. Most steel frames are not crafted this way, so they can be pretty heavy.
The frame is not the only factor for the quality of the mountain bike. Other parts can make a huge difference to the cycling experience.
Top 5 Best Mountain Bikes Reviews
This bike will give you what you want, what you need. It has a double butted alloy frame which means it will provide you with utmost security if you’re taking the ride to an extreme end. The frame comes in black and brown. It shines with confidence that it will make its owner more than a happy cyclist. There are 3 options regarding to size available of this frame: 17″/19″/21″.
As addition to your security, this bike has mechanical disc as a braking system for the front wheel. This kind of braking system is more reliable than the common ones.
It comes with Shimano parts adding that icing to the cake. This is truly a complete mountain bike. The price is relatively low considering the value you get with this deal.
The Genesis V2100 is the perfect bike for the everyday riders. It comes at a great price and offers everything you can expect from an excellent mountain bike. It has a modern design with sleek surface. The frame is made from aluminum alloy making it light and durable.
It comes with dual suspension making your ride as comfortable as it gets. The suspension will absorb most of the bumps you might encounter.
As an extra feature, this bike has aluminum alloy rims, it’s the final effort to reduce the weight even further of the mountain bike overall.
Usually, when you pay little you get little, not in this case. You pay little and you get the Genesis v2100!
This is a simple example of how a mountain bike should look like and what features it should have.
The frame comes in 3 different sizes 17/19/21 offering you a choice from which you can pick the size that is the perfect match for you. Made from steel it offers great durability and stiffness of the bike. The steel frame and hardtail provide excellent trail feedback. Unlike the previous alloy aluminum frames, this one is a bit heavier. It’s the tradeoff for a higher durability.
The parts are a mix of Zoom and Shimano granting a great balance of performance. This is a bike which will not break and will not break the bank either.
The Mongoose Stasis is a titan among the mountain bikes. It has a full suspension frame and a front suspension fork providing the ride of your fantasies. The matte red color gives the Mongoose the looks it deserves.
The person who designs this bike made sure to focus on quality and comfort without trading off security. The braking system consists of front and rear disc providing the cyclist with complete control on the road.
The Mongoose is the ideal bike for those who want to take extreme paths and routes.
This is a bike that must be taken in consideration before any buying decision is made. It’s a true masterpiece that will take you on the road safe and easy. A balanced bike providing security, comfort and an excellent feedback of the effort you make during the ride.
The sleek design makes the Diamondback Response MTB stand out. It is mix of appearance and performance.
However, the diamondback will cost you a bit more than the previous options offered. Its qualities allow it to rank with the best mountain bikes on the market.