If you’re a bicycle enthusiast, you already know that there are a few necessary accessories to maximize the safety- and enjoyment- of your ride; like bike headlights. It can be difficult to determine which product is the best choice for you, but using this guide should simplify your search. The decision you make when purchasing a safety feature is very important, so we have put together this list of guidelines in order to help you find the best bicycle lights for your bike.
Things to Consider for Bicycle Lights
- When You Most Frequently Ride. If you are going to be riding during the day, experts recommend that you use a strobing headlight because it is easier for oncoming traffic to spot you. If you are going to be riding at night, experts recommend the exact opposite- that is a steady, constant beam of concentrated light; which makes you easily visible to traffic without causing disorientation.
- Ease of Installation/Removal. Many models of even the best bicycle headlights require tools to install/remove the headlight; which may or may not be what you are looking for. If you regularly leave your bike unattended in a public place, you may be more comfortable with a headlight that is easily removable and portable. On the other hand, if you are riding your bike off-road you want to ensure that the headlight isn’t so easy to remove that it falls off every time you take a bumpy ride.
- Battery Power. It is important to know roughly how long you can depend upon your headlight lasting between battery charges or changes. For instance, you wouldn’t want to be caught in an evening rain storm, only to have matters made worse by an unexpected dead battery. Particularly if you regularly go for extensive rides (such as trail-biking), you need to be able to count on your battery lasting for the entire trip.
- Quality, Durability and Price. Even with headlights that meet all of your above listed criteria, there are still a few other things to consider when choosing the best bike headlight; such as quality and durability. Things happen; we’ve all dropped things in a rain puddle at one point or another. But if this does happen to your bike equipment, you need to know that it can take the impact, and resist weather damage. Prices between headlights for bikes can vary pretty drastically, but the higher quality models come at somewhat more consistent prices.
Top Bike Lights Comparison Chart
Rechargeable VS Non-Rechargeable
- Rechargeable. You tend to pay a bit more for rechargeable headlights. In the long run they are completely worth it however. Over time rechargeable bike lights are much more cost effective. They also provide much more consistent light quality and intensity than non-rechargeable models. There’s also the added bonus of not having to hassle with changing out batteries on a regular basis.
- Non-Rechargeable. If you’re on a relatively tight or fluctuant budget, non-rechargeable headlights may be preferable. The non-rechargeable models require batteries that are readily available almost anywhere; and these batteries are usually very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. However, the light consistency and quality suffer as the batteries are drained.
Top 3 Best Bicycle Lights Reviews
The Magnus Innovation’s Vision I has been ranked the best bicycle light of its kind by bicycle enthusiasts around the country. This fantastic, rechargeable model of headlight is the first of its kind to be fitted with a universal fitment mount that requires no tools to install/remove. Meaning that it will install easily onto your bike, no matter how large or small your frame is. In addition to this being a convenience factor, it also ensures that your light will not fall off of your bike, even when riding on rough terrain.
Should your headlight somehow be knocked to the ground, or dropped while being carried, it is nearly indestructible. This outside of this headlight has been crafted with aircraft grade aluminum alloy; keeping it safe from impact, water, shock, and weather damage.
Possibly the very best part about the Magnus Innovation Vision I is that it is also considered to be one of the very brightest LED bike light on the market. If you are riding during the day, this light is equipped with the proper strobe-modes to alert other traffic of your presence. If you are riding at night, the zoom-able low beam setting would be more suitable. For riders that want the very best in quality, durability and reliability, this is the perfect model.
The Lightning Frog Front Bicycle Light has received great reviews all around; even from buyers that have freely admitted that before trying it, they had their doubts about the wrap-around design because of its ‘cutesy’ appearance. While the design may be ‘cute’, its performance levels are a bit more serious.
This model requires no tools to install/remove, and is guaranteed to properly fit a bike of any size. The wrap around design is made of a soft, pliable silicone which protects the unit from water, weather damage and keeps it securely fastened to your bike. Not one, but two incredibly bright pocket-size LED lights fit into the silicone securely.
The only negative thing to be said about this model is that it does not include rechargeable components. The best part about this headlight however, is that when removed from the bike, the entire thing folds up and fits in your pocket for great portability, and it weighs less than half of a pound!
The Bright Eyes FULLY WATERPROOF 1600 Lumen Bike Headlight is another good choice for regular bicyclists. As it says in the product name, it is equipped with an impressively bright 1600 lumen LED bulb; making it a great choice for day or night riding. It is programmed for five different settings, which is great for reserving power; although cyclists shouldn’t have to worry too much over power consumption with this rechargeable model.
This bike light comes with a standard mount, which should fit the majority of bicycles. The rechargeable internal battery is further complimented by an external waterproof battery, which is also rechargeable. With all of that battery power, the Bright Eyes Rechargeable is guaranteed to provide powerful and reliable light for many hours.