It is actually surprisingly straightforward to get your bike into a position where it can have a motor. The best motorized bicycle kit is easy to install and will have you travelling with no effort at all before you know it.
While getting a motor kit is an obvious choice for those that want to upgrade their bike it isn’t so easy to choose between all of the available options. To help buyers make their way through the choices, we have included the top ten available motor kits and some unbeatable tips that will assist in their decision.
- Motor Control. There are two main categories when it comes to how the rider will control the motor: throttle or pedal-assisted.
- Throttle. This is when the motor does most of the work but in some cases the rider will be able to add pedal power to assist with difficult terrain.
- Pedal-Assisted. This type of control monitors how hard the rider is pedaling and provides more power when it is needed and less when it is not.
- Combinations. There are a few available products on the market that can provide both of these settings. These motors rely on one as a primary control and the other as a backup system.
- Gas or Electric. Our list contains examples of both. It is important to check your state regulations first before making a choice between the two. Generally electric ones are more expensive but they are also quieter and generate less pollution.
- Motor Placement. Different manufacturers have designed their motors to be mounted in various places on the bike. The easiest ones to install are those that are placed on the rear tire. They only require a basic understanding of mechanics to put in place but they are louder and less efficient.
For those that know what they are doing you can opt for a rear-mounted chain driving motor that is quieter but takes a little more time to install.
Top 6 Bicycle Motor Kits Chart
Finding a Good Kit
The most important factor when you are finding a motor kit is to think about the size that you will need. Here is a short guide to the ideal type of engine you need for specific situations:
- 50cc. This is the perfect size for travel on relatively flat terrain and with an average size rider. Sometimes with motors of this size you would need to pedal once you reach a hillier area.
- 50cc-80cc. For the heavier rider or when the bike will need to deal with many hills, this size range is the better option.
- 80cc +. Anything higher than 80cc will start providing speed that might be too much for a bicycle. While it seems that faster is better, even 20mph can seem too fast on a small bicycle. Save any motor choice of this size for extreme circumstances.
The best bike motor kit will be the one that gives you the right size motor for as many possible situations that you will encounter. Carefully consider the use of the bike and then you’ll have a clearer idea of the motor size you need.
Top 3 Best Bicycle Motor Kit Reviews
The design and the setup of Iglobalbuy Motorized Gas Engine Motor Kit are the best aspects of the product. There have been nice improvements made from previous kits that make this one easier and even more enjoyable to work with. This is not to say that installation is easy overall, just that this kit is simpler in comparison to some others on the market.
When you think about how much faster you can get around and the affordability of this kit, you really can’t go wrong. This combination makes this the best bicycle motor kit you could buy when you want to use your bike to get around but also need some assistance for longer distances.
With a compatible bike and some adjustments to make the ride more personalized, using this kit can also be quite flexible. Essentially if you know what you are doing and you go relatively easy on the engine then you can get up to a decent speed and get serious longevity out of this motor.
Making adjustments to your bike is so much easier when you have a kit like the BH-Motor Cycle Gas Motor Silver Engine Kit Set to work with. This kit is surprisingly easy to work with and will give you all of the power you need to reach normal traffic speeds.
Due to the different parts and materials used in this kit, it is almost universal and can be used with many different kinds of bikes and can be easily adjusted by the user. With the motor, you will find that you get at least 20 miles a day of riding on the motor and the gas. Obviously you need to account for a little struggle with hills.
This is the kind of bike assistance that would be perfect for students that cannot invest in a car or anyone that likes to tinker. It is easy to install and will get you where you need to be in a hurry making it the best motorized bicycle kit you can buy.
The PK80 Bike Engine Motor Kit is exactly what you need to modify your bike and make it more fun to ride and obviously reach much higher speeds than you would be able to just pedaling. This is a kit that will require some time and patience to put together but it is well worth it in the end.
This is the best bike motor kit for anyone that is looking more for fun purposes than a serious commuter that relies on the bike for daily transportation. Though the kit is reliable, it is not ideal for cruising long distances.
The good news about this kit is that it is easy to maintain. All of the parts are long lasting and will hold up to whatever you put the bike and engine through but modifications and personalization can easily be carried out with basic tools.